DIP62: Volatile type qualifier for unoptimizable variables in embedded programming

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 18 11:53:57 PDT 2014

On 7/18/2014 10:53 AM, Timon Gehr wrote:
> I've grepped the DMD source and currently 'shared' is a _bit flag_ set or not
> set on some uint member field of the 'Type' class. I assume this is also the
> main reason why adding new type qualifiers is a really unpleasant undertaking:
> this is a highly non-modular design.

I also recommend that you grep the C++ Standard for 'volatile'.

I counted 137 occurrences by page 300 of 1353 pages, at that point I gave up.
And those occurrences were not clustered, they were sprinkled everywhere.

A C++ compiler is obliged to carefully account for each and every semantic issue
in the Standard. Just writing test cases for all those mentions is a major
undertaking.