[OT] Uploading DConf videos

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 18 20:59:12 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 19 July 2014 at 03:37:37 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 7/18/14, 5:31 PM, Joakim wrote:
>> Do you increase the resolution of your Youtube videos when you
>> don't
>> like the quality that it's streaming?
>
> I streamed at maximum resolution (720p) when taking those
> screenshots.

Sorry, I hadn't looked at the screenshots from your original post
when I responded, I see that the HD icon is there.  As others
have said, I have noticed that if the Youtube video is initially
downloading as 360p/480p and then you change it to 720p, it will
sometimes keep playing whatever it's buffered so far in the lower
resolution before switching to the higher res, even though it
says HD.  The other reason might be transcoding errors.

>> Have you looked at Vimeo?  They're probably the second-biggest
>> video
>> site after Youtube and are sticklers for quality resolution,
>> as they
>> used to focus on the indie filmmaker community, and they
>> officially
>> support downloading videos, if the uploader chooses to enable
>> that option.
>
> Yes, I have, and rejected it last year (forgot the reason why).
> Maybe the reason has disappeared in the meantime.

They're pretty good but their flash video player has some weird
behavior when buffering, sometimes pausing the video even when
it's buffered way ahead.  Every video site has its own problems,
but maybe you'll like the video quality better on Vimeo.