D logo copyright

Alix Pexton via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 19 05:04:21 PDT 2014

On 18/07/2014 4:03 PM, "Ola Fosheim Grøstad"
<ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>" wrote:
>> This may allow for the creation of a new graphic that is a derivative
>> work of the current one but has a copyright held by Digital Mars.
>
> No. The copyright will be held by BOTH the original author and the
> author of the derivative work, it is joint ownership and you need the
> permission of two authors instead of one.

This is contrary to my understanding based on the reading I've done
(admittedly biased towards the UK as google knows where I live).

I think it is a moot point anyway. I don't think it is possible to
produce a derivative work that would be recognisable as the logo and
still original enough, and also the permission to make derivatives is
probably worded too vaguely.

I'm not going to pursue the idea any further.

A...