[OT] Uploading DConf videos

Kiith-Sa via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 19 15:28:21 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 19 July 2014 at 03:39:55 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 7/18/14, 6:15 PM, Kiith-Sa wrote:
>> This. Vimeo is quite popular, quality shouldn't be a problem
>> and people
>> aren't going to wait for an hour like with archive.org.
>
> Awesome. Can you please volunteer to mirror all of dconf videos
> to vimeo? Thanks.
>
>> Andrei: I'm about 90% sure you're doing something wrong. I've
>> never seen
>> a HD youtube video with such low quality.
>
> Ask Dicebot, he's doing it.
>

> Andrei

I uploaded one DConf video to test Vimeo:
https://archive.org/details/dconf2014-day01-panel

Vimeo has a limit of 500MB/week so I actually had to reencode it
myself (~734->~480MB). Then Vimeo reencoded it again after upload.
So quality with a paid account would likely be higher.

The top image is the original, middle is my reencode before
uploading and bottom is the result at Vimeo:

http://imgur.com/a/2SXHx

There's a visible loss of detail, but it's not nearly evident as
on the screens you have shown.

Here's the video:

https://vimeo.com/101179246