[OT] Empire

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 19 22:03:49 PDT 2014

Heh, Walter wrote a game that "inspired a great deal of the
strategic gaming genre, most notably including Civilization:"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_Empire

Other than a couple mentions in this newsgroup, I'd never heard
of this game, now available in D:

http://www.classicempire.com/

Pretty cool reading the article about how the game got around
back then, seems like an early version of open source and maybe
the first software to ever go viral, albeit in the much smaller
computer-using community back in the '70s and '80s.

Any big errors or gaps in the historical account on Wikipedia,
Walter?  I see that its descendant is now available on iOS and
Android too. :)