GCs in the news

safety0ff via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 20 01:05:13 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 19 July 2014 at 21:12:44 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

> 3. slices become mostly unworkable, and slices are a fantastic
> way to speed up a program

They are even more fantastic for speeding up programming.
I think that programmer time isn't included often enough in
discussions.

I have a program which I used D to quickly prototype and form my
baseline implementation.
After getting a semi-refined implementation I converted the
performance critical part to C++.
The D code that survived the rewrite uses slices + ranges, and
it's not worth converting that to C++ code (it would be less
elegant and isn't worth the time.)

The bottom line is that without D's slices, I might not have
bothered bringing that small project to the level of completion
it has today.