GCs in the news

Mike via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 20 04:44:55 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 20 July 2014 at 08:41:16 UTC, Iain Buclaw via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 17 Jul 2014 13:40, "w0rp via Digitalmars-d"
>> The key to making D's GC acceptable lies in two factors I
>> believe.
>>
>> 1. Improve the implementation enough so that you will only be
>> impacted by
> GC in extermely low memory or real time environments.
>> 2. Defer allocation more and more by using ranges and
>> algorithms more,
> and trust that compiler optimisations will make these fast.
>>

> How about
> 1. Make it easier to select which GC you want to use at runtime
> init.
> 2. Write an alternate GC aimed at different application uses
> (ie: real-time)

Yes, Please!

Being able to specify an alternate memory manager at
compile-time, link-time and/or runtime would be most
advantageous, and probably put an end to the GC-phobia.

DIP46 [1] also proposes and interesting alternative to the GC by
creating regions at runtime.

And given the passion surrounding the GC in this community, if
runtime hooks and/or a suitable API for custom memory managers
were created and documented, it would invite participation and an
informal, highly competitive contest for the best GC would likely
ensue.

Mike

[1] http://wiki.dlang.org/DIP46