GCs in the news

Kagamin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 21 05:39:14 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 20 July 2014 at 12:30:02 UTC, Mike wrote:
> Yes, I believe you are correct.  I also believe there is even a
> GCStub in the runtime that uses malloc without free.  What's
> missing is API documentation and examples that makes such
> features accessible.

The existing functions should be understandable, so you can
document them yourself. If you want to standardize the API, you
can write a small wrapper library, which will account for
possible internal API changes and map them to your standard API.
Examples are up to you, since nobody knows, what features you
will implement in your GC implementation and what API they should
have. You have gcstub as an example with GC proxy substitution
API.

> In short, IMO, D should not embrace one type of automatic
> memory management, they should make it extensible.  In time two
> ore three high quality memory managers will prevail.

It's a matter of writing an appropriate library and providing it
as a dub module. Do you know the best, what you want, you are the
one to make your wish come to life.