Software Assurance Reference Dataset

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 22 12:42:37 PDT 2014

On 7/22/2014 11:44 AM, bearophile wrote:
> Walter Bright:
>
>> Would you rather write that or:
>
> How much experience do you have in writing Haskell programs longer than 50 lines
> of code?

Zero.

> I have a large respect for your experience and your intelligence, but
> be careful with comments like that, to not show just your ignorance...
>
> If you are a Haskell programmer you usually don't write code like that, so in
> practice it's not a problem.

Does that imply you agree with my earlier point, then, that D doesn't need tail
recursion because it can write loops instead?

> And even if sometimes you have to write awkward
> code, the Haskell programmers can assure you that on average the advantages
> given by Haskell purity far outweighs the disadvantages.
>
> On overall I prefer D over Haskell, but if you want to criticize Haskell you
> need much much better arguments and way bigger cannons :-)

The point was not at all to criticize Haskell. The point was that D does not
need tail recursion because D supports writing loop constructs. Showing how
loops could be written using awkward monads in Haskell that Haskell programmers
wouldn't write does not change that point.