64-bit DWT & Windows static libs

Mike via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 22 21:16:10 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 23 July 2014 at 02:49:31 UTC, Rikki Cattermole
wrote:

> You shouldn't need to find them. They are provided with the
> MSVC tool chain. So as long as DMD is set up for 64bit, it
> should just link.

Thanks Rikki, I'm aware of that, but my question is about the
current DWT distribution.

Right now, these files are distributed with DWT
(https://github.com/d-widget-toolkit/org.eclipse.swt.win32.win32.x86/tree/master/lib).
The DWT build script links to these files, not the ones
distributed with DMD.

According to my interpretation of
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=294840...

<quote>
Subject to the license terms for the software, the .lib files
under the following directories may be distributed unmodified
when built as part of your program:

Program Files\Windows Kits\8.1\Lib\winv6.3\um\x86
Program Files\Windows Kits\8.1\Lib\winv6.3\um\x64
Program Files\Windows Kits\8.1\Lib\winv6.3\um\arm
</quote>

... the lib files must be compiled into the user's binary.

I need to reconcile if DWT is adhering to the redistribution
license.  Knowing how Digital Mars justifies redistribution of
these file with DMD will help me reach a conclusion.

Mike