Java compilation [was GCs in the news]

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 23 02:11:53 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 23 July 2014 at 08:46:32 UTC, Russel Winder via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-07-22 at 10:55 +0000, Paulo Pinto via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
> […]
>>

>> I avoid touching Gradle.
>
> Your loss!
>
> For others: Gradle is becoming the de facto standard build
> framework for
> JVM-based things and also Android.

I will happily use it when it gets to the same execution speed
and hardware resources than Eclipse +  ADT is currently using.

> […]
>>

>> But the proof is Microsoft adding .NET Native to their
>> toolchain, Google replacing Dalvik with AOT and Oracle has
>> added AOT compilation (Substract) to Graal, the candidate to
>> Hotspot replacement.
>
> Graal isn't a replacement for HotSpot but a dynamic compilation
> technology to work with HotSpot. It is actually a very promising
> technology, I am looking forward to trying it out.

Yes it is.

It was presented as such at JavaONE for possible future Java 9+
improvements.

I can try to dig out the presentation, if you wish.

>[...]
>
> Why is it one or the other? Having both AOT and JIT will likely
> do even
> better. Hence Graal on HotSpot.

I agree in the cases the toolchain offers both possibilities out
of the box and does not force developers to choose among
different vendors toolchains.

--
Paulo