Java compilation [was GCs in the news]

Bienlein via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 23 03:55:29 PDT 2014

>>> The JVM JIT was originally targeted to SELF, not Java.

Yes, that's right. The guys that developed Self (David Ungar et
al.) then set out to develop a high-performance typed Smalltalk
using the optimization techniques they developed for Self. The
Smalltalk system never hit the market as the development team was
acquired by Sun before that could happen. The Smalltalk system
they were working on was released to the public:
http://www.strongtalk.org/

>> I think you'll find HotSpot evolved from a Smalltalk JIT
>> originally.

The reason I replied to this is that the original technology
developed for Self was not a JIT. It was a runtime byte code
optimizer that was put into Java named HotSpot. Since HotSpot
operates at runtime it can optimize things an optimizing compiler
could not find at compile time. This is why Java sometimes
catches up very good performance and in isolated cases can
compete with C.