Java compilation [was GCs in the news]

Brad Anderson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 23 13:12:52 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 23 July 2014 at 09:16:57 UTC, John Colvin wrote:

> I am suspicious. I understand that a situation can be contrived
> such that C will lose, but in normal, sensible code the only
> language I've ever seen reliably beat C is FORTRAN.

I'm reminded of when headlines came out saying PyPy was now
faster than C in some cases. I got pretty excited (that's an
impressive feat of engineering) but upon looking into it, it
turned out it was just inlining better than C because the C code
was making a function call into another library. LTCG/LTO wasn't
even uncommon at the time and would have easily handled that case
had it been enabled.