D for Android

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 23 18:17:43 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 8 May 2014 at 16:16:22 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> Well, Android/x86 for now.  I've been plugging away at getting
> D running on Android/x86 and got all of the druntime modules'
> unit tests and 37 of 50 phobos modules' unit tests to pass. I
> had to hack dmd into producing something like packed TLS for
> ELF, my patch is online here:
>
> http://164.138.25.188/dmd/packed_tls_for_elf.patch
>
> I simply turned off all TLS flags for ELF and spliced in the
> el_picvar patch from OS X to call ___tls_get_addr.  Somebody
> who knows dmd better than me should verify to make sure this is
> right.
>
> I've also put online preliminary pulls for druntime and phobos:
>
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/druntime/pull/784
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/2150
>
> Now that a significant chunk of D is working on Android/x86,
> I'm looking for others to pitch in.  We really need to get D on
> mobile, and Android/x86 is an ideal place to start.  Dan Olson
> has done some nice work getting D on iOS using ldc, I'm sure he
> could use help too:
>
> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/m2txc2kqxv.fsf@comcast.net
> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/m2d2h15ao3.fsf@comcast.net
>
> Stuff remaining to be done:
>
> 1. Fix all phobos unit tests.  Those who know the failing
> modules better would be best equipped to get them to work.
>
> 2. I tried creating an Android app, ie an apk, which is really
> just a shared library called from the Dalvik JVM, as opposed to
> the standalone executables I've been running from the Android
> command line so far.  The apk enters the D code and then
> segfaults in the new TLS support, I'll debug that next.
>
> 3. Use ldc/gdc to build for Android/ARM.
>
> 4. Start translating various headers on Android so they can be
> called from D, ie EGL, OpenGL ES, sensors, etc.
>
> 5. Integrate the D compilers into the existing Makefile-based
> build system of the Android NDK.  Right now, I extract the
> necessary compiler and linker commands and run them by hand
> when necessary.
>
> All you need to get going is to download the latest Android NDK
> (http://developer.android.com/tools/sdk/ndk/index.html) and run
> Android/x86 (http://www.android-x86.org/, I recommend the 4.3
> build) in a VM.  I'll put up some basic setup and build
> instructions if someone is interested.

An update on the porting effort: I just got most modules' unit
tests to pass as part of an Android/x86 app, a native "apk," ie a
D shared library called from a small C wrapper, no Java required.
:)

All druntime/phobos modules but one, std.datetime, passed their
tests on the Android/x86 command-line a couple months ago.  Three
of those modules segfault when run as part of the tests in an
apk- core.thread, std.parallelism, and std.socket- going to look
at those next.  I'm guessing the first two might be related to
the C wrapper also calling pthreads, as they passed on the
command-line.

This means most of 1. and 2. above can be crossed off the list.
I'll start cleaning up my fairly simple build process and
document it on the wiki, so that others can easily play with D on
Android/x86.  Most of the patches so far have been merged into
git master, with the dmd patch above now a PR:

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/3643

Only small tweaks were needed beyond that, which I'll submit as
PRs in the coming days.  Looking forward to help on 3., 4., and
5. above, and to seeing what others do with this new platform.