Review: std.logger

Johannes Pfau via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 25 00:46:21 PDT 2014

Am Thu, 24 Jul 2014 11:50:54 -0700
schrieb Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org>:

> 6. The current backend design requires use of classes and references,
> i.e. garbage collection. Amid the current tendency to make std work
> without requiring GC, I think a design based on RefCounted would be
> recommended here.

Classes could be backed by other allocators, but this requires some
thought. For example a 'dispose' like method could be added. Or maybe
RefCounted works with classes? But IIRC RefCounted actually uses the GC
for some allocations, it only provides deterministic destruction.

I think the bigger problem is string formatting, which currently
produces one garbage collected string for every log call. Has this been
fixed in the mean time?

It can be fixed but it requires changes in the backend class
interface. I even opened a pull request to fix it. As long as this is
not fixed I can't vote for this proposal, I think it's a serious issue.