WAT: opCmp and opEquals woes

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 25 23:49:54 PDT 2014

On 26 July 2014 16:13, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d <
digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 01:47:20PM +1000, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> > On 26 July 2014 06:35, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d <
> > digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > So perhaps === is missing, and that's what should be used for AA's,
> > and also the thing that actually matches the compiler's generated
> > opEquals...?
>
> No! Please don't. '===' is one of the worst WATs of modern day language
> design, and only leads to confusion and pain. And endless bugs from
> people not understanding (and not bothering nor wanting to understand)
> what the difference is. One only has to look at the insanity surrounding
> === in Javascript and PHP for ample reasons why this is a bad idea.
> Please don't dainbramage D by introducing this nastiness.

It's okay, I hate it too.
But I equally can't abide == meaning something different than <, <=, etc.
That's insane.
Like I said, I'm just absolutely astonished that people think the situation
in your OP is okay, especially when the solution is so obvious.