What Programming Book Should I Read Next?

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Jul 26 17:58:52 PDT 2014

On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 04:56:20PM -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 7/26/2014 4:42 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> >On the topic of professional growth, I was asked this week in a work
> >meeting what I think I can do for mine.... and I didn't really have
> >an answer.
[...]
> Interestingly, I've been programming for 40 years, and I'm constantly
> learning new ways of programming. It's a combination of experience,
> changing hardware, and new ideas.
>
> The Warp program I did for FB, for example, is pretty unlike anything
> I've written before in the way it's put together.

I've to say, that learning D and contributing to D has greatly expanded
my programming horizons. I've been doing C/C++ for about 2 decades, and
about 8 years ago I felt I'd started to taper off in terms of learning
new things in programming. Until I found D, that is. D made hard /
complex things in C++ easy, and opened up new horizons -- like weak
purity, range-based component programming, new possibilities in
metaprogramming, etc..

Contributing to Phobos was also quite eye-opening in learning about
novel ways of handling common tasks in a standard library. I daresay I
learned more contributing to Phobos than from my full-time job (mainly C
with some C++ and a smattering of Javascript, PHP, and some other
stuff).

They pretend to pay us, and we pretend to work. -- Russian saying