[OT] Re: Redesign of dlang.org

Gary Willoughby via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 27 07:55:58 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 27 July 2014 at 13:30:18 UTC, w0rp wrote:
> It's not the text, it's just the current formatting. The cheat
> sheet can't fit into a smaller column size as a table. So you
> can break that down into smaller headings and paragraphs
> instead so it will reflow, but then the length of the page gets
> bumped up quite a bit and makes it harder to find things at a
> glance.
>
> Because it's probably the most important library in all of
> Phobos, it's probably worth excluding the usual output of lists
> of Functions, Structs, etc. from std.algortihm and letting the
> cheat sheet itself be the list of symbols, which is organised a
> lot better than a sort by symbol type then name will ever be. I
> like the "these are for iteration" kind of categorisation. I'd
> probably then remove the table right at the top, so you have
> the module description and example above the fold.
>
> That's what I'm thinking at the moment anyway.

This is completely the wrong way to design anything. The design
needs rework if it can't handle the content. You don't shorten
the content to fit your design!

Also the main content area is far too narrow. The current design
look ridiculous on a large monitor.

Desktop: http://imgur.com/Xr25TJ8

and because the design is fixed and not responsive in *any* way
it also looks dire on mobile devices.

iPhone: http://imgur.com/fHduaH7

This is a poor amateurish design and i wish you would stop right
now. If this ever goes live not only will all developers be
extremely frustrated trying to actually read the documentation
but we as a community are going to be laughing stock of the
programming world!

This needs the attention of a professional designer and web
developer.