WAT: opCmp and opEquals woes

Fool via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jul 27 12:28:49 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 27 July 2014 at 18:22:50 UTC, Ola Fosheim Gr wrote:
> On Sunday, 27 July 2014 at 18:00:29 UTC, Fool wrote:
>> Thus we do not have transitivity of incomparability:
>
> You are right, I forgot to test the case where only c is NaN.
> Well, that makes floats suck even more! :-)

In fact, IEEE 754 was designed by brilliant people:

'Non-Extended  encodings are all "Lexicographically Ordered",
which means that if two floating-point numbers in the same format
are ordered (say x < y), then they are ordered the same way when
their bits are reinterpreted as Sign-Magnitude integers.
Consequently, processors need no floating-point hardware to
search, sort and window floating-point arrays quickly. (However,
some processors reverse byte-order!)' [1]

Is a function for comparing floating-point numbers this way
available in Phobos?

[1] W. Kahan: "Lecture Notes on the Status of IEEE Standard 754
for Binary Floating-Point Arithmetic", 1997. URL
http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~wkahan/ieee754status/IEEE754.PDF