[OT] Re: Redesign of dlang.org

Gary Willoughby via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 28 00:29:47 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 27 July 2014 at 20:43:49 UTC, w0rp wrote:
> You absolutely must change your content to fit it into smaller
> screens. You cannot send a massive cargo plane to an airfield
> which doesn't have large enough runways. You send smaller
> planes to carry your freight to that airport. If you have a
> table where the length of a symbol expands a single column too
> wide to fit the second column's content on a phone screen
> comfortably, you have to at the very least not use a table on
> the phone screens.

This is total nonsense.

> Regarding display at very large widths. that is something which
> can be adjusted later. It's far easier to focus on fitting
> content into smaller screen sizes first and then build
> outwards, than it is to design everything for large screen
> sizes first and then compact inwards. You can always expand
> column widths and provide more non-essential but supllemental
> content afterwards so the space is used effectively.

No, the current design is too small, period. Everything about it
is too small. The fonts, the column widths, the logo, etc.
Screens are getting bigger and screen resolutions are increasing.
Even tablets have 1080p+ resolutions.

> That said, there should be an upper limit, where beyond a given
> width expanding to fill it entirely would not be a good idea.
> You are always contrained by an upper limit on how long a line
> of text should be. This doesn't have to be as small as 80 or 90
> characters, as there are some studies which show that somewhere
> as high as 100 or 110 characters per line can be read
> effectively.

Agreed but you are way below that sweet spot.

> Again, if you would like to contribute something of value,
> please do not hesitate to do so.

I am contributing but you are completely ignoring me and
attacking what i'm saying. I've been a professional web
application developer for years and have a lot of experience with
design and UX. Everybody here is completely ignoring that fact!
You don't even understand branding. So what's the point of me
trying to contribute?