[OT] Re: Redesign of dlang.org

uri via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 28 03:57:28 PDT 2014

On Monday, 28 July 2014 at 09:16:44 UTC, Gary Willoughby wrote:

You said you don't like it and you were heard the first time

> I'm speaking the truth which often hurts.

Yes and I don't see w0rp running off and sulking about it either.

> Your problem is you are not able to take any criticism
> whatsoever against this piece of work. The design is awful,
> period.
>
> I have nothing against you personally and i think it's good
> that you are initiating this effort but the design is the first
> thing that should be addressed and in no way be an
> afterthought. I apologise if i sound terse but usually in my
> line of work shoddy efforts have to be address upfront and with
> prejudice.

w0rp et. al. have asked for your contributions in art/design
because you say you know how to do a better job.

> The very first thing you should of done is to create mockups
> (in photoshop, etc) of what each page should look like and make
> sure the design can accommodate all the content. Once the
> design is approved then implement the site. The backend is
> inconsequential, use whatever you are comfortable with. Vibe.d,
> LAMP it doesn't matter. Users don't care about the backend.
> What matters is the user experience (especially within the
> documentation) and that is what should be addressed in a
> thoughtful professional matter. This is not optional or
> something that should be done along the way.

Stating something is crap in a volunteer project is useless
unless you can follow it up with something equally useful.

For an engineer you sound just like our marketing team at work:
Always ready to produce some warm and fuzzy ideas but light on
the specifics and actual work.

/uri