[OT] Re: Redesign of dlang.org

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jul 28 22:20:39 PDT 2014

On Monday, 28 July 2014 at 11:35:21 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Monday, 28 July 2014 at 11:16:39 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
>> going and getting stuff done - same principle apply here. If
>> you have professional web development experience that may help
>> here - start helping somehow.
>
> You need to define and agree on a process first. If not you
> will have to redo the site 10 times before getting to the end
> result. Then you will have to redo it whenever someone decides
> to add a feature that contradicts the design/layout, because
> they assumed that it would be easy to add later.
>
> What are the key requirements?
>
> What is the primary user base (front page, doc pages etc)
>
> What are the main target platforms?
>
> What is the intermediate format?
>
> What is the primary use scenarios?
>
> What are the key future functionality that it has to accomodate?
>
> What nice-to-haves can we cut in order to reduce work?
>
> Who gets the final word when you cannot get a decision?
>
> etc.

It has never worked that way with D development process and I
don't see it happening without any major structural changes.
Pretty much everything that does not come from Walter or Andrei
is decentralized anarchy-driven development - you do something,
show it to community, see results.

All these questions are nonsense crap without someone actually
willing to do the work. Such attitude may insult professionals
but there are no hired professionals working here.