checkedint call removal

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 29 00:00:04 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 29 July 2014 at 06:35:06 UTC, Daniel Murphy wrote:
> The idea is you test your code with assertions enabled, and
> then only use '-release' when you are sure your program
> functions correctly.
>
> If you are doing critical work or do not trust program input,
> either do not disable assertions or use a tool like enforce
> that does not get disabled in release mode.

This is what makes D design by contract almost useless when
writing network services :( Unless you have 100% code coverage
(and I mean literally 100%) you can't be sure enough to disable
assertions with arbitrary user input. And even if you have full
coverage you still can't be sure

I guess that qualifies as "critical work" but, really, any work
is critical when failure results in money loss.