Voting: std.logger

Byron Heads via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jul 29 06:34:01 PDT 2014

On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 05:11:31 +0000, Dicebot wrote:

> 1) Yes / No for inclusion into std.experimental

Yes

> 2) Yes / No for inclusion into Phobos in its current state

No

see notes in (3)

> 3) If you have answered "No" for (2) :  list of mandatory changes that
> are needed to make you vote "Yes"

We need to hammer out how this will work inside libraries.  If my app is
using multiple libraries I need to know I have full control of how they
log and where (), and if I write libraries I need to include logging that
will not affect performance or added dependencies.

I like the idea of a standard interface for D logging.  Other logging
implementations should be able to plug into the interface without having
to inherit from std.log.Logger (single inheritance issue).

I would like to see conditional logging as part of the interface, or in
the documentation show how we can achieve that with stdlib in a clean and
simple way.

Logger should include a shared Logger, or include it in the interface for
outside libraries to handle the implementation.  There will be libraries
that thread internally and will need to support shared logging.

> 4) Any additional comments for author.

Awesome work so far. Getting this "right" is I huge pain, and I applaud
you going through this.