Optlink Contribution

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 30 02:06:09 PDT 2014

On 30/07/2014 8:58 p.m., Joakim wrote:
> On Wednesday, 30 July 2014 at 08:12:17 UTC, Rikki Cattermole wrote:
>> On 30/07/2014 7:03 p.m., Kagamin wrote:
>>> Making dmd generate coff would make more sense.
>> +1
>> Most of the code should already be present in dmd, which makes it far
>> crazier not to.
>
> What makes it craziest is that there's a COFF32 branch lying around that
> nobody merges:
>
> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/mailman.1560.1323886804.24802.digitalmars-d@puremagic.com?page=9#post-llldfc:242q6p:241:40digitalmars.com
>

> It would be a far better use of Jonathan's time to get COFF32 merged and
> obsolete Optlink altogether.

If we obsoleted the OMF format output we would need to have a free and
distributed with PE-COFF linker. If we can do this, I think Walter might
go along with it.

Unless of course we could convince Microsoft to have a download just for
the linker. We could download that in e.g. the installer. Would be
better than a full install.