Case for std.experimental

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 30 05:41:28 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 29 July 2014 at 17:35:34 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> I'd just want to have a simple litmus test that prevents
> std.experimental from becoming a dumping ground of unfinished
> work. Consider:
>
> "Folks, here's std.experimental.acme. I think it's usable and
> fairly stable but I'm sure I didn't think of all possible
> issues and use cases. Documentation could be also improved."
>
> vs
>
> "Folks, here's std.experimental.acme. The entire user-facing
> API is sure to change and it doesn't pass what some deem to be
> basic acceptance terms. Try it, but you can be sure you'll need
> to overhaul all use of it when it's done."

What keeps bothering me is this: imagine something has not passed
vote for std.experimental inclusion. That means that some changes
will happen, one more voting and it will eventually get there one
release later.

And if has passed the vote, effectively the same stuff happens -
changes are done, staging period prolonged and we get to the very
same point. Only difference is that earlier versions of the
module don't get wider user exposure.

Now that I see several comments here seeking for certain
stability even in std.experimental and can understand why later
exposure can be a good thing. That, however, makes me even more
convinced that "experimental" is a terrible name for that package
and we are using it purely as staging are instead.