Optlink Contribution

Daniel Murphy via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 30 06:03:32 PDT 2014

"w0rp"  wrote in message news:sinwmhzuvhmevqtunxms at forum.dlang.org...

> I think it's important to ship with a linker without requiring any further
> installation. One of the things that helped me to learn D was being able
> to download DMD and run RDMD on Windows without installing anything else.
> It's not obvious to very new users who don't come from a Windows C++
> background where you can get a gratis Microsoft compiler or how to
> configure it. If we were going to switch to COFF32, it would be a big
> bonus to ship a COFF32 linker in the installer.

FWIW this was the plan when I started ylink.  I wanted to make a linker that
could link omf and coff together, so I could tackle the object-format and
runtime-format transitions independently.  It does support mscoff32 hello
world now, but not much more.  Until it has debug info support it's not a
viable replacement for optlink unfortunately.