Voting: std.logger

David Nadlinger via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 30 07:25:47 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 30 July 2014 at 12:01:21 UTC, Daniel Murphy wrote:
> "Marc Schütz" " wrote in message
> news:igznybcggsqgfhmmymrd at forum.dlang.org...
>
>> I don't see anything wrong with "logger". A "driver" is
>> something that drives (a device), a "logger" is something that
>> logs. Just "log" would be ok, too. Both are in common use, and
>> are terms that I would use intuitively.
>>
>> "defaultLogger" or "currentLogger" might also be ok, but don't
>> read as nicely. But please not "theLogger".
>
> I agree with this too.  All of it.

+1. theLog seems unintuitive to me. It's not like Logger is some
kind of singleton, the global merely holds the default (!)
instance.

On a note less related to bikes, could anybody explain to me why
a name is something natural to a logger? In other words, why does
it make sense to complicate the entire design with this instead
of just using either a set (in place of a map) in MultiLogger or
at least keeping the whole name concept local to it?

Cheers,
David