checkedint call removal

Daniel Murphy via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 30 09:55:32 PDT 2014

"Timon Gehr"  wrote in message news:lrb6lf$2tf$1 at digitalmars.com...

> I mean, we have at least:
> <list>

You forgot 'float', which has nothing to do with levitation.

This is all true, yet we have to pick names for things.  We could call D's
purity 'flarwurghle', but is that really better?  D's purity is much more
closely related to other concepts of purity than it is to flarwurghling.

And don't forget int, which is not actually an integer.

> To me, the apt response to a relative newcomer who gets confused by one of
> those or something like them, especially when used without quotation
> marks, is not at all similar to "You're misunderstanding and misusing this
> feature, stop making noise."

No, but that is the similar to the correct response when somebody repeatedly
argues that you've defined something wrong because somebody else defined it
differently.

The discussion on how we _should_ define it is much more interesting, and
ideally the other one would not come up at all.