checkedint call removal

Timon Gehr via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 30 10:46:50 PDT 2014

On 07/30/2014 07:15 PM, Daniel Murphy wrote:
> "Timon Gehr"  wrote in message news:lrb86k$428$1 at digitalmars.com...
>
>> On 07/30/2014 05:28 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> > Yeah, I think this hair-splitting between assume and assert is ... pure
>> > hair-splitting.
>>
>> Which is pure name-calling.
>
> Only in the sense that saying your argument is wrong is calling you a
> wrong-argument-maker.

Well, no. (Not applicable here, but if it doesn't come with any
justification, it might be.)

The second issue is that the statement above tries to look like it is
tautological by seeming to express both factual information and an
opinion at the same time.

In any case, I wouldn't have objected in this way to a statement like 'I
think the distinction between assume and assert is not important for
D.', while a statement like
'I think the distinction between assume and assert is not important and
I am right about this.', which is what the above statement says, without
summoning images of futile attempts to split a hair in half, I am sure,
wouldn't even have been considered by the author.