Voting: std.logger

linkrope via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 30 10:50:15 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 30 July 2014 at 17:01:39 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 7/30/14, 8:16 AM, Kagamin wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 30 July 2014 at 14:59:38 UTC, Andrei
>> Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> Such logic doesn't apply to vocabularies.
>>
>> According to my vocabulary, a logger is something that logs.
>> Didn't hear
>> about irater, and messer sounds like a German word.
>
> Yah but the log object, i.e. the thing you log things in (the
> paper log on a ship etc) is "a log", not "a logger". A "logger"
> would be the person writing into the log.
>
> So the appropriate name for the default log object is
> "defaultLog" not "defaultLogger", or "stdlog" not "stdlogger".
> The better choice is also shorter.
>

> Andrei

Even shorter would be "log".
That would be better than enabling

     log.info(...);

via the already proposed

     import log = std.logger;

The only obstacle is the current "log" function.
But do we really need the free log functions? For UFCS?

Otherwise

     alias info = log.info;

would do the trick.