Voting: std.logger

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 30 11:05:01 PDT 2014

On 7/30/14, 10:13 AM, Daniel Murphy wrote:
> "Andrei Alexandrescu"  wrote in message
> news:lrb8dj$4cn$1 at digitalmars.com...
>
>> Yah but the log object, i.e. the thing you log things in (the paper
>> log on a ship etc) is "a log", not "a logger". A "logger" would be the
>> person writing into the log.
>>
>> So the appropriate name for the default log object is "defaultLog" not
>> "defaultLogger", or "stdlog" not "stdlogger". The better choice is
>> also shorter.
>
> But the default log object is the tool you use to write things into the
> log! It's the secretary you yell things at from the other room, who then
> writes them down in the actual log (or logs (or nowhere)).

No, the way I see it is myLog.write("stuff"), i.e. it's me, the caller,
who is doing the logging (i.e. I'm the logger), and myLog is the object
of the action. Granted, things could be interpreted as in "I tell the
logger to carry writing into some other log" but that becomes pop
philosophy. By Occam's rule, just call the object a log, not a logger.
-- Andrei