discuss disqus

Jakob Ovrum via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jul 30 11:24:44 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 30 July 2014 at 13:10:35 UTC, Wyatt wrote:
> Serious question: what exactly is "supplemental documentation"?
>  In my view, if it's good enough to be considered
> documentation, it belongs in the documentation.  Anything else
> is just pussy-footing around.

Consider information like "how to do X with Y". The combinations
may be endless and opinions will vary about which cases warrant
mention in the reference documentation. Placing it on a Wiki page
sidesteps all that. We have to be careful not to clutter up the
reference documentation with trivial information; it's not a
tutorial.

Further, as it is, reference documentation can only be updated by
going through peer review. A Wiki on the other hand would have to
be moderated after-the-fact and peer review would not be
guaranteed.

When it comes to asking questions, I agree we have plenty of
outlets more appropriate than Disqus as it is, including D.learn,
the IRC channel and StackOverflow.

Disqus just doesn't buy us anything, while the disadvantages are
numerous.