Optlink Contribution

Kagamin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 31 00:44:05 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 31 July 2014 at 07:07:27 UTC, Jonathan Marler wrote:
> No matter how much you optimize your D code, you will only ever
> be able to use a subset of what assembly can do.

Such micro-optimizations give only marginal contribution to
performance, which is mostly determined by choice of algorithms.
The approach to write everything in assembly with manual
optimizations is obsolete for many years, at least for desktop
platforms. This is also one of the reasons, why optlink is
translated to C.

> I would like to see a linker written in D and see how it
> compares to optlink.  But I would reserve making a decision on
> moving to another linker until I got some solid performance
> data.  Some performance data for a D linker compiled with all
> three D compilers as well.

I only wanted to say, no matter what performance data we get, the
linker can be optimized by choosing faster algorithms without
tinkering with assembler.