checkedint call removal

Tofu Ninja via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 31 13:36:43 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 31 July 2014 at 19:12:04 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> Integers are sortable, period. That is not "input".

Ok so sorted ints are not "input", what else is not "input"?
Where can I draw the line? And if I do use assert on an input,
that is what? Undefined? I thought D was not supposed to have
undefined behavior.

> You're denying the existence of mathematical identities applied
> to symbolic math.

I am just going off of what you said and pointing out the
consequences. You said it was a misuse to use asserts to verify
inputs. So what is defined as an input?

int x = getIntFromSomeWhere(); // this is an input
int y = x; // Is y an input?
int z = x/2; // Is z an input?
real w = sin(x); // Is w an input?
int a = (x == 2)?1:0; // Is a an input?

> I suggest revisiting the notion of program logic correctness vs
> input verification.

The proposed optimizations to assert have brought into question
the logical correctness of assert, that is what this whole thread
is about(well not originally but that is what it is about now,
sorry bearophile). Until that is resolved I am no longer going to
use assert.