discuss disqus

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jul 31 23:40:39 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 30 July 2014 at 03:43:55 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> There's a pretty negative article about disqus making the
>> rounds:
>>
>> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/2c19of/your_users_deserve_better_than_disqus/
>>

>> Since we're considering adding disqus flow to our docs, we
>> better think this
>> well. Any thoughts?
>
> The bit about Disqus tracking users bothers me. I know that's
> what one gets with "free", but I'd prefer our own system like
> Vladimir's awesome forum software.

Yeah, that seems outright creepy and very invasive. I think that
even if we were to decide that we wanted a documentation comment
system and we wanted it to have the feature set that Disqus does,
we should either find another, existing system which has those
features but not the tracking, or we should roll our own. And I
don't think that rolling our own would be that hard. Some aspects
of it wouldn't be all that different from what the forum software
already does, and we already have some great tools for web stuff
like vibe.d.

- Jonathan M Davis