1st Call for Ideas for Google Summer of Code 2015

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 1 05:25:28 PDT 2014

On Friday, 30 May 2014 at 17:34:46 UTC, Craig Dillabaugh wrote:
> I had a couple of things I wanted to post about the D Google
> Summer of Code submission for 2015.
>
> 1.
> After Andrei had asked for someone interested in taking over
> the D GSOC submission for 2015, I, along with a few others of
> you volunteered to pitch in. I can't find that thread right
> now, but if you were one of the ones who also volunteered I
> would love to get in touch by email.  One of you set up a Wiki
> for 2015 (Mike), it can be found here:
>
> http://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_2015_Ideas

I notice you have getting D working on mobile devices in your
list.  Between the work Johannes Pfau has done on getting gdc
building for linux/ARM,

http://forum.dlang.org/thread/lg6vih$a3k$1@digitalmars.com

the Android/x86 work I've been doing since late last year to get
both druntime and phobos to pass almost all tests,

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/2150

and the work Dan Olson's done to get druntime and phobos running
on iOS,

http://forum.dlang.org/thread/m2d2h15ao3.fsf@comcast.net#post-m24n2bu4mm.fsf:40comcast.net

I don't think enough remains for a full GSoC project. :) The only
bigger piece I can think of is maybe pushing through the
Objective-C integration for iOS, but I don't know much about
that.  What remains for Android/iOS is a little polishing and
translating the rest of the headers to D, which isn't really GSoC
work.  I think someone could put together all the existing pieces
to get apps built on Android/ARM with gdc in a couple days,
though I haven't looked at the gdc code to make sure.

However, it would be nice for someone to build something on
mobile with D and show the viability of these new toolchain
options, maybe an OpenGL game built in D or some other mobile
app.  I don't think I'm qualified to be a mentor, but I'd be
happy to help anyone who's interested in getting going with
Android.