1st Call for Ideas for Google Summer of Code 2015

Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 1 05:48:52 PDT 2014

On 1 June 2014 13:25, Joakim via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Friday, 30 May 2014 at 17:34:46 UTC, Craig Dillabaugh wrote:
>>
>> I had a couple of things I wanted to post about the D Google Summer of
>> Code submission for 2015.
>>
>> 1.
>> After Andrei had asked for someone interested in taking over the D GSOC
>> submission for 2015, I, along with a few others of you volunteered to pitch
>> in. I can't find that thread right now, but if you were one of the ones who
>> also volunteered I would love to get in touch by email.  One of you set up a
>> Wiki for 2015 (Mike), it can be found here:
>>
>> http://wiki.dlang.org/GSOC_2015_Ideas
>

> I notice you have getting D working on mobile devices in your list.  Between
> the work Johannes Pfau has done on getting gdc building for linux/ARM,
>
> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/lg6vih$a3k$1@digitalmars.com
>
> the Android/x86 work I've been doing since late last year to get both
> druntime and phobos to pass almost all tests,
>
> https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/2150
>
> and the work Dan Olson's done to get druntime and phobos running on iOS,
>
> http://forum.dlang.org/thread/m2d2h15ao3.fsf@comcast.net#post-m24n2bu4mm.fsf:40comcast.net
>
> I don't think enough remains for a full GSoC project. :) The only bigger
> piece I can think of is maybe pushing through the Objective-C integration
> for iOS, but I don't know much about that.  What remains for Android/iOS is
> a little polishing and translating the rest of the headers to D, which isn't
> really GSoC work.  I think someone could put together all the existing
> pieces to get apps built on Android/ARM with gdc in a couple days, though I
> haven't looked at the gdc code to make sure.

One would not need to look at gdc, but at the liibdruntime/phobos
libraries shipped with it for Android/ARM support.

Likewise, now I've got my Epiphany board, there may be some work
towards porting for that target.  I have a friend with a SPARC64
server, and I have a PPC kicking about that I'm yet to set-up.

Another small project would be GDC/OSX, which again is pretty much
library-side fixes (TLS mostly).

Regards
Iain.