[OT] Extra time spent

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Jun 1 19:30:49 PDT 2014

On Mon, 02 Jun 2014 01:30:07 +0000
"Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d" <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> > Aren't you supposed to tell them to install Linux at that
> > point. ;)
>
> I used to do that, but it never ended well so I don't anymore...
>
> Of course, Linux has come a long way in the last decade, but I
> still don't think it works as well for the typical end user as
> Windows.

LOL. Yeah, I meant it as more of a joke than anything. Depending on what
someone needs to do with their computer, if you set it up for them, Linux can
work fantastically for non-power users, but if they need any Windows-specific
programs, then that falls apart pretty quickly (especially if they're not
willing to learn the alternatives which exist on Linux), and you're stuck
maintaining their computer for them whenever maintenance issues come up,
whereas with Windows, there's a decent chance that someone else could do it
for them. Much as I hate Mac OS X, I'd probably be quicker to send someone
there than to Linux just because it's designed to be stupid simple.

- Jonathan M Davis