[OT] Extra time spent

John Colvin via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 2 11:08:17 PDT 2014

On Monday, 2 June 2014 at 01:30:08 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Monday, 2 June 2014 at 00:26:31 UTC, Jonathan M Davis via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> I would have expected that the kinds of
>> folks who would post here would be doing a fair bit with their
>> computers in their free time (especially those who also do
>> work on dmd, druntime, or Phobos).
>
> Yea, I do too (not as much code for a while but obviously I've
> done a lot of that too) it is just really nice to unplug from
> it all.
>
>> Aren't you supposed to tell them to install Linux at that
>> point. ;)
>
> I used to do that, but it never ended well so I don't anymore...
>
> Of course, Linux has come a long way in the last decade, but I
> still don't think it works as well for the typical end user as
> Windows.

I recently converted my dad over to linux for his general purpose
computer. As far as I can tell he's very pleased with it and
significantly prefers it to his previous windows machines and
even the mac mini he had briefly.

Windows specific programs aside, something like Linux Mint +
Cinnamon makes for a very good day to day computer. In
particular, having a package manager really helps to dissuade the
end-user from installing anything that happens to look
nice/useful on a random website.