[OT] Extra time spent

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 2 12:02:38 PDT 2014

On 6/2/2014 1:52 PM, Meta wrote:
> On Monday, 2 June 2014 at 17:41:09 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> I always used to be like that (hell, I was *known* for that). But then
>> once I started doing it for $ that quickly sucked most of the
>> enjoyment out of it. Seems to be that everything changes when you're
>> doing something as a job instead of just for the heck of it.
>>
>> Like cooking: The worst jobs I've ever had (by far) were in
>> restaurants, but I've slowly been enjoying cooking at home more and
>> more. Last night I've even cooked up a little something just to
>> unwind, which was quite a strange first for me.
>>
>> Anyway, point being, doing something for a paycheck always seems to
>> change it just enough to suck all the fun out of it. At least for me
>> anyway.
>
> This may be a sign that your work is not interesting and/or challenging
> enough, or you're not getting an opportunity to learn new things. One of
> the most fun coding experiences I've had in a long time was implementing
> a simple scripting language at my current job.

Quite likely, yes. Unfortunately though, when a paycheck is required we
don't always get to choose our work, and the interesting things aren't
always monetizable (well, maybe they would be if I were some brilliant
business mind). Sometimes something just needs to get done, or you just
need to take what you can get. Doesn't help that I just plain can't
function in a 9-5 cubicle farm (although 8-5 or 9-6 is much more
accurate due to lunch hour), or maintain a *sustained* 45-hour/week
interest in *any* one single thing.

But I've been doing what I can though. For example, I've had enough PHP,
VB-ASP, Flash, C++, etc., in the past that I've started getting much
more insistent now on using D whenever I can manage. Life's too short to
muddle through with bad tools, even if they're *cough* "mature" bad
tools (As if something like PHP or Flash could ever be considered
mature). Various recent Facebook news will likely help in this regard.
I've had FAR too many conversations with fools trying to justify PHP
with "Well Facebook is written in PHP!" which is just *wrong* in soooo
many different ways (ex: It isn't even REAL PHP, it's HipHop, they had
to roll their OWN PHP like three times). So I'm very excited to be able
to say "Uhh, Facebook *does* use some D" or point people to...umm...that
PHP-replacement language they recently announced, forget the name of it.