[OT] Apple introduces Swift as Objective-C sucessor

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 2 13:58:28 PDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 02, 2014 at 08:37:30PM +0000, Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Monday, 2 June 2014 at 20:07:00 UTC, Nordlöw wrote:
> >https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/ios/documentation/Swift/Conceptual/Swift_Programming_Language/GuidedTour.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40014097-CH2
> >
> >Same mistake with syntatically ambiguous template syntax.
>
> Actually I find it better on my eyes, than D's one.
>
> Maybe too many years reading C++, Java and C# code.
[...]

Argh! I have also spent many years reading C++ template code... but I
still utterly hate using <> as template argument list delimiters. Not
only it makes my eyes bleed, it's also ambiguous and leads to lexers
that must parse before they can lex. Ugh!!

(Now that's not to say D's template syntax is perfect either... things
like func(A...)(B...) where A... and B... are long argument lists, are
also very taxing to read because when you first start scanning the
declaration, it's hard to tell whether the A... are compile-time
arguments or runtime-arguments. But nevertheless, I think D's syntax is
WAY saner than anything based on C++'s horrific <>'s.)

Democracy: The triumph of popularity over principle. -- C.Bond