[OT] Apple introduces Swift as Objective-C sucessor

Timon Gehr via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 2 14:55:11 PDT 2014

On 06/02/2014 10:23 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> On Mon, 02 Jun 2014 15:45:28 -0400, Paulo Pinto <pjmlp at progtools.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> More information now made available
>>>
>>> https://developer.apple.com/swift/
>>
>> "Memory is managed automatically, and you don’t even need to type
>> semi-colons."

> Heh, yea, that's the #1 thing that jumped out at me as well. Sounds like
> it probably sums up a lot about the language.

Well, it's a sales pitch. I skipped right to the language reference, but
there seemed nothing to be there that would support the statement

"Swift is the result of the latest research on programming languages,"

But more annoyingly,

"Syntax is tuned to make it easy to define your intent — for example,
simple three-character keywords define a variable (var) or constant (let)."

i.e. Swift is another language that is confused about what 'variable'
and 'constant' mean.

> The whole thing sounds like "We love how JS and Python allow mediocre
> programmers to churn out bad software quickly, but since we *are* Apple
> and love strategic lock-in just as much as MS, here's our own goofy
> version of the exact same thing that we're going to push instead."

It is typed.