[OT] Extra time spent

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Jun 2 18:58:10 PDT 2014

On 6/2/2014 7:24 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Monday, 2 June 2014 at 18:19:30 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> Something like the Surface Pro could actually be good though, if it
>> wasn't running Win8, cost less, had sufficient IO ports (with no
>> idiotic connector dongles),
>
> Yeah, my brother has one of those and it didn't look half bad to me, but
> still, meh, work can wait till I'm back in the office!

A friend of mine (not a techie) has a (non-Pro) Surface and loves it.
Interestingly, the main thing he loves about it is the fact that it has
a real Windows desktop (well, more or less), which is exactly the main
thing mobile devices have been obsessively trying to avoid (because
Apple made them think they all have to).

Win8 aside, the Surface's basic idea is exactly what I always thought
tablets should be: Usable as a tablet, but with a real UI, USB, and a
flip-out keyboard that can also fold over to protect the screen. It's
just what makes sense. Too bad it has some deal-breaking problems in the
details. Oh well, at least it's a step in the right direction though,
unlike iDroid. What we really need is something that hits the sweet-spot
between 1. traditional laptop (plus optional dock), 2. traditional
tablet and 3. netbook.