[OT] Apple introduces Swift as Objective-C sucessor

bearophile via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 3 00:29:36 PDT 2014

ponce:

> - normal arithmetic operator throw a trap on integer overflow
> (!). This must be incredibly slow.

My experience in ObjectPascal tells me that this limited loss of
performance is quite acceptable when you debug the code or in
routines that don't need the max performance. So it's similar to
D array bound checks. In some functions (like the @safe ones in
D) you can even decide to keep it on. So I like checked
arithmetic by default if there are ways to disable suck checks in
specific functions/parts.

The good Graydon (one of the main designers of Rust) has written
some quick notes on Swift:
http://graydon2.dreamwidth.org/5785.html

Currently Reddit-Programming is buzzing a lot about Swift.

Bye,
bearophile