1st Call for Ideas for Google Summer of Code 2015

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Jun 3 05:17:56 PDT 2014

On Friday, 30 May 2014 at 17:34:46 UTC, Craig Dillabaugh wrote:
> 2. Rather than wait to the last minute to start gathering
> possible project ideas I thought it might be good to start
> early.
>  Since D-Conf is just recently ended I wanted to take advantage
> of the generated enthusiasm to find out if anyone had any big
> project ideas.  I plan to make a similar posting in the fall,
> and then again shortly before the 2015 deadline for the
> procrastinators.

The GC would seem like a good project for GSoC.  There's been a
lot of talk about the GC, but not many actual GC commits in the
official druntime.  Integrating Luca's CDGC
(http://forum.dlang.org/post/utbclcwhiidbewtuzkzc@forum.dlang.org),
Sean's D2 version from years ago
(http://forum.dlang.org/thread/exfrifcfczgjwkudqdgx@forum.dlang.org#post-mdonuqmhthwrwzrywtek:40forum.dlang.org),
or Rainer's precise GC
(http://forum.dlang.org/thread/qdloccrbwmrlxibmkztu@forum.dlang.org#post-lja9ro:242bdi:241:40digitalmars.com),
perhaps all of the above and then benchmarking them, might make
for a good GSoC project.  I imagine that at least one of them
might volunteer as a mentor.

I don't know if Orvid would qualify for GSoC, but maybe he'd be a
good candidate to do this, assuming he isn't too far down the
road with his own GC by next summer. :)