D's gui controls need a cool control for DataBase Programming

Bruno Medeiros via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 4 04:55:09 PDT 2014

On 03/06/2014 17:00, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> There's no GUI builder for DWT, if that's what you're looking for. But
> there is a plugin for Eclipse called WindowBuilder [1]. That will output
> Java code for SWT (which DWT is a port of).
>
> [1] http://www.eclipse.org/windowbuilder/

Personally, I think GUI builders are likely a bit overrated nowadays. I
do a lot of work with SWT, and I am a big fan of rich IDE toolchains,
but I never felt much compelled to use an SWT GUI builder.

They are good for beginners, which can get started easily, but, at least
for SWT specifically, once you become fairly knowledgeable about it, its
easy to create UI controls programmatically. If one is using more
complex grid layouts, it can be trickier to get things right at first
when just doing it programmatically, but I don't think the productivity
difference is that significant.

I think the key thing here is that GUI builders became less important
when the internet became so massively popular. In the early
VisualStudio/VB days, the GUI builder was very helpful since it would
allow one to get started building some controls easily, whereas if you
had to do all programmatically, and look up the API for that, it could
be tricky to find a way to do what you wanted. But nowadays its easy to
search the internet for examples, snippets, etc.. SWT in particular has
loads of those.

--
Bruno Medeiros
https://twitter.com/brunodomedeiros