Swift is based LLVM,what will the D's LDC do?

Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 4 09:32:44 PDT 2014

On 4 June 2014 16:44, MattCoder via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, 4 June 2014 at 13:27:20 UTC, Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d
> wrote:
>>
>> No one wants to work on GDC/LDC, so they shall remain obscure in
>> development and tailing behind current development.
>

> Please could you tell more about the requirements/background that a person
> needs to fill this work?
>
> I'm programmer for a while now, I wrote some: Business Systems (Job), games
> and small interpreters (Hobby) etc. But I always thought about contributing
> on my spare time, but I don't know how I could fill on this work.
>
> Matheus.

For a  (needs more detail) overview, see: http://gdcproject.org/contributing/

But the jist of it is:

If you use GDC, we encourage you to try to contribute, whether by
submitting bugfixes, new features, documentation updates, web page
improvements, etc.

You don't *need* to be a compiler developer.  If you are only a user
and know how to use the tool in a way that others may not be aware of,
document it!

There's also a projects page: http://wiki.dlang.org/GDC/ProjectIdeas

One item missing from that page is PORTING.  Porting D (with GDC)
doesn't require compiler knowledge per say.  Most of the work is in
patching druntime to implement all missing features and your done!

The few things that may require knowledge of the compiler internals,
you may ask or raise a bug report at any time and someone should be
willing to answer (usually me).

Regards
Iain.