[OT] Extra time spent

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Jun 4 12:02:43 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 04, 2014 at 11:51:04AM -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 6/4/2014 11:36 AM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> >>
> >>I understand that. But can you have it on at a barely perceptible
> >>volume at your desk? That's usually enough for me.
> >
> >I find that music distracts my ability to think clearly, especially
> >when coding or solving a complex algorithmic / mathematical problem.
>
> True for me, too. Which is why I prefer ambient music at low volume
> when coding, and sometimes even then I'll turn it off when faced with
> a difficult problem.

It's strange, I find that even ambient music distracts me, yet the loud
noise of an occasional passing train doesn't. Similarly, even whispers
will distract me, but birds chirping, trees rustling, etc., don't. It's
something about intelligible sounds that engage my brain somehow, that
non-intelligible sounds don't have. So far, I haven't found anybody else
who experiences the same thing.

Paradoxically, when I'm trying to focus while there are lots of other
distractions around me (or psychological anxieties), I find music via
headphones helpful. Maybe because the isolation removes more
distractions than it adds, I don't know.

Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals could believe them. -- George Orwell