[OT] Extra time spent

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Jun 5 10:07:59 PDT 2014

On 6/5/2014 2:49 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2014-06-04 21:02, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>
>> It's strange, I find that even ambient music distracts me, yet the loud
>> noise of an occasional passing train doesn't. Similarly, even whispers
>> will distract me, but birds chirping, trees rustling, etc., don't. It's
>> something about intelligible sounds that engage my brain somehow, that
>> non-intelligible sounds don't have. So far, I haven't found anybody else
>> who experiences the same thing.
>
> Then you have now problem listening to modern pop music ;)

I've heard that observation about modern music when I was a kid - "There's a
bathroom on the right!" - "Wrapped up like a douche!" - and most famously,
"Louie Louie":

    http://www.louielouie.net/11-fbi.htm

Never mind that I could never make out the words in opera, either. My mother
once tried to inculcate me with culture by taking me to the opera. When I
complained that I couldn't understand any of the lyrics, she explained that that
was unnecessary, as one should already know the story.